Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Austin City Limits































note the sign on the truck or car?

























































































































































































































































70,000 of my new friends







How Ya'all doin?? What a trip! A great time was had by all as far as I could tell. The people were great the food was great and the music was even better. The amount of talent was amazing. I guess I'm a little slow sometimes but I think I figured out some of my connection to music and what it means. Years ago Johnny Cash said something like "God likes a southern accent and He tolerates country music and quite a bit of guitar." You know the music means somethin when the hair(what little I have) stands up on the back of your neck. Or your emotions are touched. Hard to explain but it helped me figure some things out. I would like to thank Bill Fulton for tolerating me for four days and bein a trooper. A while back he said if I bought tickets he'd go with so I held him to it. We had a great time. I would also like to thank the great Billy Joe Shaver who really touched my soul. His wasn't the greatest musical performance but by far the most touching. I was starting to kind of lose control of the ol tear ducts and thought maybe I was the only one, well I look around and see a bunch of people crying. He's had a tough go losing a son and wife, so I guess it just kind of hit me hard. So as Billy says hang in there and "Try and Try Again." One of those reinforcements of life's lessons I guess. Sorry for the pontification.


Top Ten or so things about the trip,

#1 Check your shoes before you leave so you don't have two left ones.

#2 "Hey Bill how come all those cars are heading towards us"

#3 Music is probably better than football, left at half time.

#4 Why are there all these cars with Texas plates? Oh Yeah Texas!

#5 Not everyone in Texas likes George Bush especially, oh never mind

#6 Watching Grace Potter sing and move and Hey Bill did you get her phone number yet?

#7 Cold beer is better than warm beer, Ziegenbach!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#8 Billy Joe Shaver

#9 Getting free tickets from a new friend to go see Bob Schneider and the Bluegrass Explosion

#10 Sunday morning at the Gospel Tent

#11 The best Taco's in the World

#12 95 degrees isn't so bad

#12 Don't every stay at America's Best Inn

Acts we saw

Friday

Sahara Smith You sure she's only 18?

Asleep at The Wheel classic

Del McCoury and his band Top shelf Bluegrass

Bela Fleck and the Flecktones What is a synthaxe/drumitar?

Joss Stone, Surprised? We were just following the girls.

LCD Soundsystem What kind of music is that?? Kinda of grew on me.

James Hunter British R&B This man enjoys what he's doin

Reverand Horton Heat "It's martini time!"


Saturday

A lighter schedule due to the fact we thought we'd watch some football, mistake.

Steve Earle He's the one that doesn't well, never mind.

Kelly Willis The Homecoming Queen of Austin an Angel's voice

Cross Canadian Ragweed.. Keep on Rockin in the Free World!!!

Then went to a club and saw Bob Schneider and the Bluegrass Explosion "Outstanding"


Sunday

Started out at the Gospel Tent

Shields of Faith
Amy Cook
The Jones Family Singers

Grace Potter and the Nocturnals Hey Bill you got that number yet?

Charlie Musselwhite Delta blues on the harmonica

Patterson Hood I like him better with Drive By Truckers

Rose Hill Drive good old Rock n Roll

Billy Joe Shaver What else can I say?

Ziggy Marley "Love is My Religion" Looks like a lot of people agree!

Bob Dylan and his Band sorry Bob, had to go.
I will put out another posting about Mo in the next few days. Take Care of yourself be careful and have some fun!!
God Bless
Dale
In this life of care and woe
I have traveled many roads
I've had my share of misery and pain
When I found my life was lost
In my heart I carved a cross
And sealed it with a song I'm liven to sing
Don't you worry about a thing
Jesus Christ is still the King
He has brought you from the darkness to the light
Don't you threaten don't you doubt
You will never be without
Don't you worry Jesus Christ is still the same
Laugh and Dance and Jump and run
Have yourself a world of fun
Jesus Christ has broke the chains and set you free
Be a light unto the world
All you little boys and girls
Keep on smilin, Jesus Christ is still the King!!!!!!
Jesus Christ is still the King by Billy Joe Shaver
"At times I'm a voice crying in the wilderness, but at times I'm right on the money and I know what I'm singing about. It's about sharing, praise, worship, wonder, and wisdom. So share in the joy here and maybe the rest will follow for all of us."
Johnny Cash
P.S. I've already entered the lottery for next years tickets, so if you're not doing anything in September?

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Awesome, Dale. So glad you had a good time. I lived not too far from Austin for several years - good place for your heart, soul and mind. God bless ya'll.

3:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home